Thursday, November 26, 2015

Today Is A Day To Be Thankful And I Appreciate So Much About My Life,My World, My Friends, and My Family

I am not cooking today, but did buy beer and wine to bring to the festivities at Pam's in Monroe. Once again, I will not be in Syracuse for this holiday, but came closer than I have in a long while (don't worry, I'll be home for Christmas - you can plan on me). I'm happy to present Pam with the coolest wine bottle cover in the universe...all to thank her for taking me in (and hopefully Chitunga if he gets out of working a double shift).

I spent most of yesterday unpacking from two weeks away and celebrating Chitunga's birthday. I cleaned, fixed the stove (proud of myself for watching videos online and getting the sparks to work again), shopped to replenish the refrigerator, wrote, walked the dog, and ran.

This, of course, was in preparation for today and I'm more than ready to make my thankfulness list.
  1. First and foremost, I am thankful for my Mom and Dad. They brought me into the world and even if I am a pain in the ass, non-communicative at times, obnoxious, and not in Syracuse, I love them with all of my might. I appreciate everything they've ever done for me, most I've taken for granted as a son and much that can never be repaid.
  2. I'm thankful for my immediate family, too. This means Cynde, Mike, Nikki, Dylan, Casey, Dave, Sean, Jacob, Bella and Dixie. Of course this means Chitunga, Abu, Lossine, Abdi, Akech, and Glamis, too. They are central to my world and bring me new perspective and purpose each and every day. I also include Sue here, my Louisville mom. God only knows what I'd be without them. 
  3. I know America is outrageous at times (as Laurie Halse Anderson said, "It's in its adolescence"), but I am thankful for it. I love this country. I'm patriotic and optimistic. I believe in its mission and will argue with anyone to check the privileges we have in this land of red, white and blue. I say be careful of the complaining and criticizing, and count your blessings. We are fortunate. Period.
  4. I love Cookie on Empire. She's up there with Oprah for me. I am thankful that I once loved Darlene on Roseanne (heck, I loved Roseanne, too). I am thankful that I realize such women are figments of my imagination. I know they will never come visit me, but I am thankful that a man can wish.
  5. I'm thankful for my friends - way too many to name here. They are those from childhood, CNS, Binghamton, University of Louisville, BreadLoaf School of English, Cambridge University, Syracuse University, and Fairfield University (including my growing CWP-Fairfield peeps).
  6. Speaking of, I am thankful to the Reading and Language Arts Center at Syracuse University, especially Kelly Chandler-Olcott and Marcelle Haddix who continue to inspire me. This also includes Rebecca Freeland and Isabelle Glod who were the heart and soul of keeping me sane during my dissertation. 
  7. And with heart and soul, I am thankful to Attallah Sheppard who maintains the muses in my aging mind. She, coupled with the National Writing Project, professional friends in LRA and NCTE, and writers I continue to work with, give me tremendous hope for the future.
  8. I am thankful to all the students I've ever worked with in all the schools (especially Brown and Bassick). I couldn't be who I am without Alice Stevenson and Kathy Silver. The Frog needs his Owl. Stripe needs his Yellow.
  9. I give thanks to history. Single stories have been told and there are many more truths than we realize (including the holiday we're celebrating here). I applaud anyone who helps me to question my reality and who helps keep my perspectives in check. Exiting the cave is a beautiful thing.
  10. Finally, I am thankful to The Great Whatever. I'm not sure what happened to turn me from an Eeyore/Charlie Brown figure into Willy Wonka, The-Wanna-Be-Maude, but I am glad for it. Choosing 60 seconds of happiness rather than 1 minute of misery is the secret to living a spectacular life.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE. LET THE FOOD COMAS BEGIN.

1 comment: