Saturday, November 14, 2015

Another Homecoming: Presenting to SOLER at Syracuse University and Then Attending an SU Game in the Dome

What an honor to be asked to speak to Syracuse University's doctoral students in SOLER about where I've been since doing my dissertation in 2012. It's hard to understand all that is going on when one is knee-deep in the process, but three years later I begin to see how the investment paid off. Yesterday, I discussed my dissertation, but more importantly the influence of mentors at Syracuse University and what they contributed to the work I'm doing now. I was able to highlight the CWP work, conferences, grants, summer programs, and Young Adult Literacy labs with a nod to Syracuse and how my mentorship helped me to see new ways of doing work in Connecticut.

Afterwards, Marcelle invited me to a Syracuse game with her tickets (and admitted she's never been to a Syracuse game). Dumbfounded, I jumped up and down for the tickets and was thrilled to be her companion for a night under the Dome. The team is young, but they are exciting - they have some new skills that might make for an interesting season.

Of course, I spent yesterday doing as I was doing, with little knowledge of what was going on in Paris. Now that I know, my intellectual curiosity has me asking many questions, especially in regard to what is next and how does this influence the way we do America with this knowledge.

I parked in Manley, took the bus to campus, and re-stepped all the paths I took for three years while attending classes and making sense of what I set out to do. I will always see Syracuse as the heart and soul of the intellectual work I do. They influenced me immensely and, returning to them, was a blessing. I hope I'm able to do it more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment