Sunday, November 22, 2015

My Single Goal For #NCTE15 Conference in Minneapolis Was Met. Finally Got Face to Face Time with Laurie Halse Anderson

You can't be an adolescent educator without knowing the impact of Laurie Halse Andesron's Speak. You can't be passionate about literacy, upstate New York, and the history of YA literature in school without knowing the influence of Anderson's novels and advocacy in the field of adolescent literacy. Laurie Halse Anderson, in the words of Joan Kaywell, is part of the ABC trifecta: that is books others want to censor in American schools: Anderson, Bloom, and Crutcher, although they are texts young people consume with passion and curiosity.

I discovered Speak when I was a classroom teacher in Kentucky and saw first hand the influence it had on young readers. My personal copy is earmarked with the pages I most love and I even have a torn article from the Post Standard that I use as a bookmark...the one that showcases her gorgeous writing space and the one-of-a-kind cathedral windows. It is a creating space to die for.

 I knew Laurie Halse Anderson was coming this year to receive the NCTE National Intellectual Freedom Award. Lucky for me, Joan Kaywell saved space at their table so I could have front row seats for the recognition. As a fellow up-stater, I was honored to be in such close proximity. I was also able to deliver the "Diva" and a "Grandmother" tags I nabbed for her when I first arrived (her grandchild was born just a short while ago). I had to flee to another session, but I did get my selfie!

Laurie Halse Anderson is an inspiration. Meeting her yesterday, helped to complete a lifelong goal.

Today, I have my last presentation, but I know the highlight will be that I made this particular dream come true. Here's to the greater Syracuse region, to providing voice to young readers everywhere  that help them "speak" and for the entire organization of NCTE.

I am a better man because of the NCTE experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment