Saturday, November 28, 2015

Mystery Solved. Thanks to Constable Bill, His Love of Animals, His 82 Year-Work Ethic, and His Integrity

Around 10:30, Glamis heard a car door and when ballistic in the bay window. I looked out and an old man was walking up my drive way. He was in a big truck that was plastered with "home repair" signs, and my first instinct was, "Whoever this man is, he has the wrong house."

I walked out front and there was this man with a blue collar. Yes, it was the blue collar that has been missing for a few weeks - the one that mysteriously disappeared and made Chitunga and I tear up the house. We had no idea where it went.

"I found it in Wooster Park," the man said. "I walk there everyday and I love dogs. I have three Yorkies of my own. I'm 82 years old and still employed. I am a Notary, work on homes, and do animal calls for the town. I saw the collar and knew I had to return it."

Bill. His name was Bill. He was a police officer for over 32 years in Stratford. He now works on homes and does other miscellaneous work (even told me he'd draft my Will if I wanted him, too. "I've been working since I was 14 years old," he continued. "If a person isn't working and contributing back to the world in good ways, then they aren't worth my time at all."

I could have talked with Bill for hours. He is "The House Doctor" and something tells me he's a surrogate mayor for our Stratford community - an individual who lives his daily routines by offering small gestures of kindness, which include finding missing dog collars and returning them to the owners (even after a month of being M.I.A.).

Yesterday morning started with restoring my faith in humanity. Such a random act, but one that I will hold at the core of my philosophy and purpose. If only all of us could aspire to be like Bill, what a beautiful world it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment