Sunday, November 29, 2015

Holiday Lights and OCD Do Not Mix Well, Especially When Moving Into a New House and Nothing Fits Right

Gleams, perplexed on why I keep going in
and out of the house looking at the
windows. I need to get her a light-up collar.
In all the homes I've ever owned, I've always lit them up for the holidays with white lights. I've also lived in homes with long fences and driveways. Alas, my house has lots of windows, a short fence, and a porch. For the most part I made matches, but there were the strands that all lit up but one row which angers me to know end. Then I went to find matching lights to replace them and, OF COURSE, they are a different shade of white light. Actually, the new bulbs they're making are like spotlights - they are so bright.

I've gone to Home Depot, bought lights, returned them, Walmart, bought lights, returned them, and Targets, bought lights and returned them. I'm trying to find matching shades so I don't have to purchase all new lights. Besides, the ones I have now match the lamp outside and the Christmas tree that Pam threw out and I recycled into my new home.

Such neurotic lighting ceremonies does not bode well for the lists and agendas I made to accomplish yesterday. Rather than get to the tasks on my list, I spent way too much time working on the lights and (ARGH) have still not accomplished the goal. I have two more windows that need lights and, (UGH), I have around 30 feet of fence lights that I need to put out somewhere. Right now I am thinking about lighting up the back porch (just because I can).

The neighbors across the street and the ones next door simply have a candle in each window. I envy that. It's simple, elegant, and smooth. I'm not a Griswold, but I do like to have the celestial feel in my home for the holidays. It makes sipping hot cocoa and reading that much more pleasurable.

I'm also distressed that I can't put my snowman in the bay window because, without a doubt, Glamis will trample on it every time she leaps to her surveillance/sleep spot.

We're getting there, but the house is not there yet. There is nothing I hate spending money on more than Holiday lights that die so quickly. But on a good note, I did hang up a rack so the stockings are up (although not mby a chimney).

Okay, it's Sunday. My day of rest which means I can't continue my neurotic search for two more sets of lights (or can I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment