Sunday, November 8, 2015

One Way to Earn a Cupcake...a 5K and an Intentional Way to Reflect on One's Writing Intent

Yesterday was the day chosen to be a sandwich for a piece I've been chiseling for 20 years - one written about violence in reflection for other teachers. Although I showed up 3 weeks early to the race, originally, I actually arrived to the Vicki Soto 5K on the right date this time (and man, they were giving out cupcakes...delicious, gourmet cupcakes).

I ate mine. Kaitlyn ate hers. And I brought the other one to Ginette.

It was the perfect day for running and I had a great clip until the 3rd mile when I cramped. I am guessing I lost 60 seconds walking it off and my time would have been even better.

Still, I'm happy. I wanted to break 30 minutes and did. I actually ran in 27 minutes, but could have had 26 minutes if the cramp didn't arrive. No! I didn't eat a cupcake before the race. It was the coffee.

In my 20s, I ran 5Ks around 24 minutes. 22 minutes and some odd seconds was my fastest. Super athletes can do it in less than 20. I'm slowing up in old age, but I'm still kicking forward and keeping a decent pace.

Now, if only I could pick up the pace with the writing! I will get there. It's not the sprint, but the marathon and I've been running for almost 30 years now. I don't necessarily win, but I'm always in the race and that is what counts most.

And here I go. I'm off to my office for a day of writing and printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment