Wednesday, November 25, 2015

And So Today, It's the 20th Year On Earth For Chitunga and, Last Night, A Birthday Party For the Kid

I returned to Connecticut just in time to bring in the celebration of Chitunga's 20th year. I made a quick call to Pam and we pulled together the Monroe crew of Kaitlyn, Derek, and Patrick at our favorite burger joint - The Tavern, in Monroe. Chitunga''s been on his own for two weeks and I imagined he'd be ready for company, family, friends, and togetherness.

I laughed when I walked in the house after being away for two weeks because the house smelled like the same newness when we first arrived last March.

"I didn't clean," he says. "I meant to, but never got around to it."

"Oh, really?" I respond. "It smells so good in here. How'd you do with food the last week?" I asked. "Did you run out?"

"Oh, I got another pre-cooked chicken and I've been eating a 3-egg/milk/protein mix/ and banana conglomeration all week. I'm trying to gain weight."

Um, okay. Everything the kid puts into his body turns into muscle and he can't get the bulk he wants. If only I was that lucky.

"I see Glamis is super excited to see you," I add, while she attacks his face with kisses.

"No, I'm more happy to see her," he replies, soaking in all the dog's love and happiness.

Two years ago today, on the 25th of November, Chitunga called to see if I wanted to do something. It was a weeknight and I was post-run and about to grade student work.  I met the boy at a local high school when I first arrived to Connecticut. I told him the first time we met (he had long dreads and totally looked like the young people I worked with in Syracuse from Africa), "You and I will work together one day." I knew he was relocated, but had no idea whether or not we'd ever meet again. I kept seeing him around school in classes, however, and every time, I saw him working hard. I'd always hand him my business card and say, "You and I should talk. I think we could have a great conversation." A year and a half later, he enrolled in a dual enrollment program at Fairfield University and arrived to my English class. It was his senior year. "Oh, it's you," I said as he walked through the door. "I told you we'd working together one day."

During that semester, which was his senior year, he called to see if I could get him to do something. He wanted out of Bridgeport for the day  I responded, "Why don't we go and see the Hunger Games?" We went and, missing dinner, ate really horrible boiled hotdogs in the theater. He sat at one end and I sat at the other.  After the movie, when I dropped him off, he reflected, "Hey, I want to thank you for taking me out for my birthday. I'm not used to having anyone celebrate it with me."

I stopped the car and said, "Wait, today's your birthday?"

He looked at me and confessed, "Yes."

I did what most would do and said, "Well, Happy Birthday."

Fast forward a couple of years. Driving lessons. Lunches. Dinners. Man-to-man talks. (A C+ in my course). Mentoring. More mentoring. Even more mentoring. Help applying to college. His graduation. Support. A semester off from college. A job. Another job. Moving in. First pillow and first bed. More mentoring. Christmas in Syracuse (Casey sealing the deal with that hug of hers, he says). Community College. Great grades. More bonding. A hernia. A new house. The twins. Summer. A dog. Another Syracuse trip. A broken finger. More conversations. More mentoring.

And last night we celebrated his 20th birthday with food, laughter, and Pam's squad. We returned home to watch the latest Jurassic Park movie (actually, he watched it and I multi-tasked on other items), until he fell asleep (and off the couch, which was funny - it's that 7 a.m. workout schedule of his).

Today, though, is the official Chitunga's celebration - his BIRTHDAY. I have a gift and card from my mother to give him and items I've picked up over the last few months. Glamis is jumping on him and covering him with birthday licks. I'm watching the two of them and thinking, "What a fast three years it's been." I'm also thinking, "Wait a second! How'd this kid end up in my house?" It does feel, however, that it is exactly as it is supposed to be.

I am proud to have this young man in my world: he's a mini-me, a hard-worker, and a semi-dork who is reflective and dedicated to everything he does. Yes, the Great Whatever works in mysterious ways.  I'm not always sure what the real intentions are, but what I do know is that today I celebrate the life of an incredible human being. He has become a part of my family and I'm thankful he chiseled his way into my world.

There are few words, really. There's only what there is...And it is exactly this.

No comments:

Post a Comment