Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Throwing a Bone to the Possum (Do They Like Bones?). I Have Become One Editing POW - Power of Words (3rd ed.)

I typed in cross-eyed and got several, well, cross-eyed individuals. Then I saw the possum. That is what I feel like. When trying to find the perfect metaphor for doing 11 hours of editing work - um, 11 hours of editing 3rd-12th grade work - this is how one feels, looks, and acts.

I'm basically done.

The day part of my day was successful as I went to the office and put together materials for the 8 NWP/NCTE presentations. Everything is in folders, organized, ready to hand out, and efficiently prepped.

Then I returned to the editing part of my day. Teenagers love drama. They love dialogue. They love romance. They love vampires and fantasy, alternative worlds, sex and death. And they love to write. Ah, but editing what they've written so that it makes sense to the reader, that becomes a different animal...a cross-eyed possum...all together. The work and heart is good...the comma placement, lack of periods, and use of dialogue is another story.

But it is getting done...as is the ham in the oven, the potatoes, and the groceries for the house to feed Chitunga while I'm gone for two weeks. The kid better learn to use a knife to cut cheese for crackers or to spread peanut butter onto some jelly. I know he knows how to do this, but he's also used to eating whatever I've left over in the fridge. There will be no leftovers for him. This is one of those places for one to grow!

Okay, enough procrastination. Back to editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment