Monday, August 31, 2015

Syracuse University Meets The Brown School (When Beautiful Worlds Combine). So, So Happy.

Last week, Alice sent me a photograph of her and Dr. Maria Murray, SUNY Oswego, who was dropping of her son to Centre College near Lexington. He graduated from Manlius Pebble Hill last year.

While earning my doctorate, Maria and I bonded over our senses of humor, unique perspectives on global issues, and passion for raising the bar for all kids. She reminded me of Alice and I connected them on Facebook. Lo and behold, they've met at the Rover while visiting schools in the Bluegrass and the rest is history.

While the son was in Freshmen orientation, Maria spent the day in Alice's room learning history with the junior class. She texted me, "Now I see why you said teaching at the Brown School was educational nirvana." Indeed, it was and still is. Where else do you get a public school mission, K-12, to diversify student populations with high standards, originality, the arts, and self-directed learning.

I felt a tremendous pang seeing the two of them posing in front of my READ poster and was very excited that it was uncovered. The rumor was that Umbridge demanded it be taken down and confiscated. I'm glad to see the Taliban didn't destroy this artifact.

In just a week, I'll be returning to Kentucky for the Kentucky Writing Project conference at the the University of Kentucky and I can't wait to be at my stomping grounds again.

I am cherishing this photograph. It means the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment