Saturday, August 1, 2015

And I'm Back In the Land of Dog-Owning Humans. Ladies and Gentleman, Say Hello to Glamis

Around March, Chitunga stated, "We need a pet. A rabbit or dog or something." I thought, "Rabbit?" I told him there were rabbits outside and our house is too nice for a dog. Besides, he's so particular about everything, I guessed a dog would destroy his sense of domestic control. But, he kept saying, "A pet would complete the house."

Earlier this summer, an old student posted a photo of a dog that instantly caught my eye. Glamis, named after the Sand Dunes in Northern Califorinia, was the one. I showed Chitunga and he said, "That's what we need." I didn't tell him but I instantly began making arrangements through the foster care system and rescue group that saved this South Caroline gone to Philly Sheppard/Lab mix. I kept it a secret and asked the foster family (my old student) to keep the dog until August 1st. I knew I would have no time for it until Chitunga finished his Yale work with Gear Up and the bulk of my Young Adult Literacy Labs ended.

And today is August 1st, so we're good to go. I've been thinking about the surprise for several weeks now (but dropped hints along the way...he had a hunch). When I told him a surprise was downstairs he instantly ran downstairs and began to cuddle and take selfies with Glamis - man's best friend.

Of course, he also had to go to work, so the twins and I got to play all night with the puppy. She's fast, she loves soccer, she's afraid of wind up butterflies, she is always hungry, she barks from time to time, and her face is simply adorable.

She is, however, a lot smaller than she looked in photographs. I'm hoping that she gets big - after all, I had Baby for a long time.

I've kicked around other names like Glamorous, Lois, or Alice, but Chitunga likes the name Glamis. I added Marie to thank Meghan for her fostership.

So, here we go again. It was now or never, especially with the sabbatical around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! and, sabbatical???? Hooray! What's the project?

    ReplyDelete