Sunday, August 30, 2015

Up In Smoke, Up In Smoke. Helping a Good Man Close Up His Cigar Shop on a Saturday Night.

For the last five years, I've stopped by Patrick's shop, Up In Smoke, on my way in from Syracuse and on occasion with Pam when we were romping in Monroe. The shop was owned by her son who owned it for five and worked their for another five. As of September 1st, the shop will be no more - Patrick has been working with his Uncle doing grip work for various television productions and a time to move on arrived. Pam texted to see if I could help clean up the shop, which I did.

The saddest part, I suppose, was watching Patrick say good bye to the hand carved chief who stood at the entrance way. We loaded it up in a truck after putting over $4,000 worth of cigars in my car to store in Pam's garage. There has to be a market to sell them somewhere.

It's always hard to transition, but the older I get the harder it is to witness others in their own. He and his family have immeasurable memories at the shop (heck, Abu and Lossine have numerous memories at the shop), but now it is time for another episode. Although the dog and I walked on Saturday, I cleaned, and I got organized, the larger part of the day was spent packing boxes and helping to haul materials to Pam's garage.

My drive to Syracuse and waving to Patrick's shop will be no longer. Still, I will look at the space for as long as I make the trip and say, "That still belongs to them."

It is the Chubby's of that part of Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment