Friday, March 6, 2015

The Point About The Point Is That There Is No Point. "He's Got a Point Here." Unpacking an Oldie But Goodie

Sometime after 2001, Meredith Alexander, A.C. Sprite and Brown School original, sent me the script and the story of Oblio, the boy born with a round-noggin in a land of sharp-edged pointy characters. The laws of the land, however, state that everyone must have a 'pointed' head, so Oblio is a total misfit. He and his sidekick, Arrow, venture throughout the animated film throughout the Pointless Forest where they discover giant bees and a pointed man who claims,
"A point in every direction is the same as no point at all."
There's also a man made of rock, the prancing fat sisters, the leaf-man, and the epiphany, there's a point to all of us. We simply must find it.

Written by American songwriter and musician Harry Nilsson, the story quickly was a favorite of a few Brown School students who chose the quirky life over the predicable one.

Yesterday, I debated whether or not to unpack all my cds as students at Brown made me mixes every year - I have hundreds of them and each represents the unique personalities they had. I decided that it's okay to keep and horde such music because each tells a story of a time that once was. I am thinking, too, that it just might be my point in life - to hold onto stories simply because they crack me up. And with that noted, I leave a link to the movie, narrated by Ringo Starr, here.


1 comment:

  1. What a surprise to see "The Point" as a favorite...we wore that record out at my house. Humming "Me and My Arrow" right now!!

    ReplyDelete