Saturday, March 7, 2015

Son of a Butch, part two. I Attempted a Fish Fry in Your Honor and Also a Post, but the Black Cloud Followed Me.

I wrote this entry and then the Internet ate it. So, this is my second attempt.

So, mom says my father needs cataract surgery, but we got you Cee-Lo Green glasses at Christmas, so you should be good to go. Why would you need surgery, when we purchased you corrective lenses?

Seriously, I am always sad when I can't be in Syracuse to celebrate special occasions with the family and yesterday's celebration of my father's birthday was sadly missed. In his honor, I went for a fish fry - knowing that he was doing the same in upstate New York. I stopped on my way home and before heading into the garage to unpack more boxes, I sat in the kitchen to eat the greasy food. Alas, they screwed up my order and I had to go back and finagle the actual order. I wanted to give up on the day, but persevered.

Although the DAY OF YOU was yesterday, I'm posting the celebration today. I learned from you, my father, that there's nothing a man can do in life but give his best and keep on keeping on - you got to work and you have to stay committed. No matter how much the lawn grows or the snow falls, you have to tackle it with dedication, labor, and the desire to do what is right.

This, of course, is written in hopes that there will be no more store. I'm done for this season...I don't know about everyone else.

Here's hoping there was a beer or two in front of my father on his special day and that he found joy with the anarch that is family. Ideally, I would have loved to be there, too, but I'm five hours away and settling into another phase of my life.

I love you, Dad. You'll be happy should you visit - the television is hooked up and it's ready for March Madness...although the news of Syracuse's infractions, named on your birthday of all days, has made those of us with a flair for CNY sports a little distraught. Still, this too shall pass.

Another year older. It continues to be amazing and I'm thankful for everything my father has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment