Saturday, March 14, 2015

It Was 40 Degrees! Of Course, I Had To Kick Out My BBQ For Some Grub (and a little birthday party)

On Friday of my spring break "vacation" I opted to work out of my house to get some writing done and to finish putting rods up on all the windows. I got a run in (pain included) and chose to pull out the grill (which needed to be cleaned, rewired, and coerced to work), but I roasted vegetables and steak/sausage for the week (well, a day or two with Chitunga in the house).

I definitely have a BBQ-type house and that is what I hope will be the spring/summer on Mt. Pleasant.

I also attended Daniel Trust's 25th birthday party and made the connection that he and his classmates were the class of 2008 (It's '08, A'ight). I left Louisville in 2007, so the juniors kept behind for their senior year were not under my watch (which is a regret to this day, because I loved these kids). I felt sort of redeemed, however, meeting with Trust and his classmates knowing they, too, were a part of that magical year.

It is interesting to me to know that Daniel Trust would have been a junior entering his senior year when I left the bluegrass state. Of course, he was a Rwanda genocide survivor relocated to Bridgeport, Connecticut - a man who would commit his efforts to providing opportunities to young people like himself who wanted to find a better life through higher education.

Attending his party reminded me of my 25th year in Louisville, as I was finishing my student teaching and about to embark on a second Masters from the Kentucky Institute of Education and Allied Professions. I hated my 20s, as so much of the self-definition was in a flux of who I thought I was going to be and who it was I was actually becoming. Heck, it took until my 30s to realize my role as a classroom educator with a drive to do the work it is that I do. Even at 37, when I began my doctorate, I was still on the road to find out what it is, actually, I am meant to do.

Shoot, I'm still trying to figure that out.

And so, this morning I will transition myself back to teaching and preparing work for the annual spring meeting for the National Writing Project in DC. I think home ownership, once again, has me in a bit of a quandary about being an adult and investing my income into permanence and sustainability.

I will not worry, though. If I did, I wouldn't be where I am today (with the decades of memories behind me). Happy Saturday. It's March madness. There must be a game on somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment