Monday, February 23, 2015

What Does a Superstitious, Yet Hyperactive Scholar Do On A Sunday Before a Two-Day Marathon of Portfolio Scoring?

Well, he packs in hope that the closing will actually be a reality on Wednesday (fingers crossed).

My real estate agent said, "I wouldn't do a think until it's all said and done," but I teach Monday and Tuesday, score portfolios and Joel Barlow High School, and hopefully head to see Cynde, Mom and Nikki in Jersey this Saturday. If the closing goes as it should, then I want to be ready to shift gears rather quickly, so I can transition items into the new digs before seeing the Brigadiers perform at the WGI regional.

I am insane.

But, I've been in my rental for four years and never truly unpacked everything because it never felt like my home. I loved the house in Clarksville, and the ranch in Cicero even more. I'm ready to hang my hat once again at a home that will actually be mine. I did the math and I've thrown almost $68,000 over four years in rental property (the cheapest house I could find to rent - apartments and condominiums were even worse). Because of the disaster of the Cicero home - a result of the housing crashed - I didn't have money to buy a home when I arrived to Connecticut. It's taken me several years to save enough for a down payment, and The Great Whatever knows that my graduate school income was far from sufficient for buying a home when I made the transition.

Nervous? Of course! Scared? Definitely!

But I am ready...I'm ready to be Captain Miserable on Mt. Pleasant in Stratford. I can't think about the stress or the finances, because I will just go insane. Rather, I will take a deep breath and roll with the week. I think it was the last storm - six inches of snow and an inch of ice - that did me in on Nichols Avenue. The thought of having to deal with that driveway one more time is just too much to bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment