Monday, February 2, 2015

Someone in Seattle Should Be Fired. In Connecticut, $20,000 Raised For Refugees

For the 4th year in a row, I've participated and supported IRIS's Run4Refugees in New Haven, Connecticut. This year, while sprinting up a hill, I learned that they made over $20,000 from those willing to push forth on a 5K sprawl during a cold, February day. It could have been worse - it could have arrived on Monday when we're expecting many inches of snow and ice.

The crowd was still large and the turnout phenomenal. I woke up feeling good and I knew when the race started that I wanted to beat last year's time. I didn't expect to beat it by almost 4 minutes! I guess the gym is paying off.

There's something great about starting the day with a 5K race because then, when you're ready to start the day and time is cleared, you can be like, "Man, I already ran 3.12 miles and it's not even 11 a.m."

So, I turned my day into Super Bowl Sunday. Here's what I have to say: the commercials sucked (yawn), the 1/2 time show was a cool mechanical lion followed by Lenny Kravitz, followed by Missy Elliot. Did we need Katy Perry?

Tunga in New England mode at Leo & Bev's
And. And. And. I don't follow the NFL much because I think it is inflated ego, compensation, hype, and silliness, but I was into this year's because I loved the way Seattle came back last week. Chitunga, a huge New England fan, was in total regalia for the Patriots and I was yelling for the Seahawks just to piss him off.. The lucky catch in the end made me think, "Now this is the game we're all waiting for."

But then. Then. With. Half. A. Yard. To Gain. You Pass The Ball. Into the Hands. Of the Patriots. What? What was that? I agree with Andrew Pillow who quickly tweeted, "Someone needs to be fired."

Just like that. Super Bowl buzz kill. This was not the fault of players. These were coaching calls and their hides need be be had (of course, if it wasn't intercepted, we might be saying, "Wow. That was a smart trick play.") Either way...one for the record books.

And now to shovel/plow/bulldoze the snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment