Tuesday, February 3, 2015

And My Snow Storm Fits And Fancies All Revolve Around a Driver Chord and a Snow Blower

If you don't laugh, you want to cry, especially when the storm predicted for last week doesn't come, and the dusting predicted for Monday turns into the storm expected last week.

In one word, this is who I am thankful for: Chitunga. Not only did he help me clear the driveway once, but after a slight scuttle about why he wasn't given permission to drive to a friends, he came out to help me again.

Now, I went out. My snow blower started on the first pull (which never happens), but as soon as I pulled the handle down to move, I heard *snap*. The driver chord split in half and there was no way the wheels were going to turn without that apparatus. I said, "#$@#%," and then went to shovel work. The kid came out and joined me.
When we finished, I did work for a while and then ventured to Home Depot.

Here's what I learned about Home Depot on Ground Hog's Day. They have shipped all winter paraphernalia back to headquarters and are stocking summer materials: lawnmowers, weed-whackers, rakes, fertilizers and beach chairs.

Seriously. It's 15 degrees, almost a foot of snow has fallen, and all the shovels are gone. I'm not sure what kid of business model they're operating under, but that seems really odd. Rather than scrapers and salt, they are inventorying garden soil and hoes.

While in the store, too, the weather picked back up and driving home was rather hectic. It snowed until 5:30 and I once again went out to clear the driveway from hell. And, when I looked up, the kid was there doing his part, too.

But now I'm without a snow blower and this frustrates me. I have an older model that my father found on the streets of Syracuse, but it does what it should, albeit it haphazardly. I don't mind the exercise of shoveling, but there's something God-Like about pushing a machine through the thick of it all.

And with that, let Tuesday begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment