Monday, February 16, 2015

Nope. Actually Not Tomorrow? The 43 Year Celebration Is On For Today. Seven More Years Until 50. Woot Woot!

Happy Birthday, To Me!
Happy Birthday, To Me!
I Never Make It Through Any Night,
Without Having to Pee.

Yes, I took liberty with the song, because I can.
And I did. And it's true. I had a horrible bladder in my younger days and it is even worse, now. Also part of my aging equation? Ear hair! Nose hair! Cracking joints! A ridiculous reaction to any caffeine after 10 a.m. (if I drink it after 10 a.m., I never fall asleep at night). Okay, I also have a difficult time sleeping with or without caffeine.

I am 43 years old today and I will always proclaim that February is the best month to have a birthday. Why? Because I'm an Aquarian and Aquarians are odd ducks. According to Tarot.com,
Here comes quirky Aquarius, marching to the sound of their own off-beat drummer. Aquarius is symbolized by the Water-Bearer, though it's actually an Air sign. 
Ruled by the unpredictable planet Uranus, Aquarius is the most eccentric zodiac sign -- there's never a dull moment with an Aquarius around. Intellectual, friendly and future-minded, Aquarians are not very emotional -- but they still are the humanitarians of the zodiac. The Water-Bearer represents community and mankind, and Aquarius is more concerned with the good of all than the good of one.  
Friendly, outgoing and intellectual, Aquarius is always brimming with great ideas and fun conversation. Plus, they're ever-willing to lend an ear or a helping hand. Aquarians are friendly, but they have an aloof and detached quality that prevents others from getting too close. A lack of intimacy in relationships can frustrate friends and lovers. 
Well, isn't that peachy-keen. In one lumpish paragraph, Bryan Ripley Crandall has been described to his absolute core.

Seriously, I'm loving where I am in life and the adventures I've been on that have led me to this point. I'm so thankful that one tiny spermatozoa from Butch found its way to one minuscule egg in Sue back in 1971 (most likely a June occurrence, which is interesting because my mother can't stand summer humidity and heat). I've lived a wonderful life through North Syracuse Central School district, Binghamton University, the University of Louisville, teaching at the Brown School, living in Kentucky, going back and forth to Denmark, working with relocated refugees in three states, doing a doctorate at Syracuse University, and now directing the Connecticut Writing Project at Fairfield University. I've enjoyed studies at Cambridge University and Bread Loaf School of English, and found total awe from a Fulbright Memorial Scholarship in Tokyo. The Great Whatever has introduced me to numerous creatures on the Frog Pond and I'm grateful to them all - most recently, the Eagle himself, Chitunga. And my family: Butch, Sue, Cynderballz, Casey, Mike, Dave, Nikki, Dylan, Sean, and Jacob Charles are there for me every step of the way, not to mention my guardian angels, Sue and Dave, and my intellectual superiors, Alice and Charlie. And the imps: Abu, Lossine, and now, Pam. Oi Vay. And of course, Abdi (who will be a father sooner than he realizes), Werdi, Akech, AJ, Omar, Bior, Edem, Lugendo, and Ibrahim. I can be me because of who we've all become together - UBUNTU!

How can a birthday like this not be happy?

Here's to another year and the hope there are many more to come!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to be called your friend and so proud of the man you have become. If there's anything that someone can learn from you it's to go where your heart leads, don't be afraid to walk off the path, live all the colors, love unconditionally, laugh, laugh, laugh and dont get intoxicated at age 15 in the dead of winter and pass outbin a snow bank. I love you dear friend. Miss you

    ReplyDelete