Monday, February 9, 2015

It's Not 18 Inches of White Stuff, Just the Slippery Icy Stuff and Sleet in the Forecast. Eek. Mondays.

Mother Nature is plaguing us who already have an aversion to starting the work week (and who teach on Mondays). The dice are being rolled and we must wait and see. I've yet to meet with my Monday English Seminar and I've resorted to the epistolary approach of letter writing and getting letters in return - I need to keep tap on how the student teachers are doing in the field.

Their first lesson - flexibility.

They are learning early that just because you're on top of your game and have all your ducks in a row, the pond can freeze over and the state may issue a no-drive emergency plan. It hasn't come to that today, but 10 miles north of here, it is reported that it's really nasty. Our neighbors in Hartford and Boston have already postponed schools --- again.

And even if I spent 8 hours in my office on Sunday to get on top of the teaching game, it is still up in the air whether or not any of us are going to be able to carry out our intentions. Already, my morning meetings were cancelled by colleagues who are not able to get out of their neighborhoods up north. Next Monday is President's Day, too, so that means another Monday off the schedule. So, this morning I wait and hope that the frozen drizzle is not a match for the overextended and hardworking snow removal crews of southern Connecticut.

I am thinking we might want to rethink 2nd semester and reverse summer months to January and February. Since moving to the Nutmeg state, we just can't seem to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment