Thursday, May 28, 2015

Throwback to 1982. A Time of Middle School. A Time of Innocence. A Time of Extra-Terrestials and Home Excavations

I walked by my favorite classroom at Fairfield University this afternoon and saw all this equipment surrounding its doorway. This is where we have the Invitational Summer Institute. I thought, "Oh, my. Has ET found its ways into Canisius Hall?"

But then I read, "Danger: Asbestos."

Uh oh.

The men entering the room were in full garb, too, having to undo their uniforms when they exited and totally confiscate materials piece by piece.

Now brown creatures with glowing fingers, though. Just a lot of white dust.

It brought me back to Penn Can Mall in Cicero and the 9 or 10 times my friends went to the theater to see the classic film. It was mesmerizing and all of us, it didn't matter how tough we were, secretly wanted an alien to call us Eliot.

I do hope, though, that the asbestos removal occurs quickly so room 10 will be open by July. It is our hub, after all, and a location for creating precious writing memories. More importantly, I hope the room is made safe from poisonous toxins.

No comments:

Post a Comment