Monday, May 11, 2015

It's Hard To Believe It's Been Two Years, Lois. Byron Pigley Krudell Misses You. #WalkMyWorld

It was during this season in 2013, when I had to say goodbye to a dear friend, a colleague, a neighbor, a sister, and so much of the joy I accrued in my first two years in Connecticut. When I took the position at CWP-Fairfield's Director, it came with the assistance of Lois Minto, sister to Pam Kelly and bringer of joy to both of our worlds.

Last week was Pam's birthday and, coupled with Mother's Day, the two of us have been missing the humor, devotion, and all-around happiness of Lois. On Saturday, we went out to honor Pam's birthday (Shirley brought clown noses) and when I drove home, my mind was on the fact that time flies by too fast.

Yesterday, I reread what I wrote for Lois's services, in reflection of her influence on my Christmases, the memorial walk we did for dogs in Stratford (influenced by Lois), the community tree we planted, the ILY story, and her sense of humor that continues to arrive to me at the strangest times.

Whenever I laugh from the stresses life throws at me I am thinking of Lois. But, I am also thinking of Pam, my twin sister separated at birth but six years older, who keeps the humor and wit alive in my life.

In two weeks I will be hosting Writing Our Lives-Digital Ubuntu, a conference for Connecticut youth and I am thinking about two years ago when Lois passed and the Writing Our Lives- Bridgeport event followed. At the time, all I could do was hold my breath to get through it -- it is what Lois would want me to do.

Still, I can't do anything in Stratford without thinking of ice-cream, Paradise Pizza, a walk at Short Beach, or a stroll in my neighborhood (less than a mile from her house) without her crossing my mind. I had get my hand in soil without thinking about her impeccable lawn. I hope Lois has some sort of vodka drink and is surrounded by licks and cuddles of the dogs she advocated for. Most of all, however, I hope she has found serenity and peace, the calm she longed for while holding her world together; everything she did was for love and family.

I miss you, Lois. So much of what I do is because of (and dedicated) to you. Keep an eye on all of us down here. We're waiting for you to send us that winning lottery ticket and/or a boatload of money. That was the deal, wasn't it? You're taking a little longer than we anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment