Friday, May 8, 2015

Open Mic. Back To Back Classes. Diva & The Frog. In Need Sleep. #WalkMyWorld

Kim Herzog, of Staples High School, invited Attallah Sheppard to be part of a poetry/jazz celebration in Westport, Connecticut. We've taken this show to New Haven and Bridgeport, but have yet to head west towards NYC. Well, today, we traveled 13 miles west and it took us 90 minutes to get there. Ah, Connecticut traffic.

It's amazing to me to think that a poetry workshop I began in Louisville, Kentucky, has evolved to what it is today (especially with Attallah's memorized poetic talents to accompany me). Each and every time we present we get better at syncopating and building off one another. We now have a fluid performance and the kids don't stand a chance - they all leave with a poetic seed they're excited to work on more.

I laughed as we were leaving, though. "Yo, Frog. You think they would mind if I took one of these posters on my way out?" (they decorated the school with them). "Um, take it. They won't notice," I reply (as a librarian comes out and asks, "Hey. You can't take that down. Oh, wait. That's you on the poster, isn't it?"

We finished the day with a  BBQ at my place (but only after she had another performance in Bridgeport). I graded (just get it over with Crandall. It's awful and you know it), but enjoyed the company in my home all week.

I've forgotten what it is like to teach 5 classes in a row without a break (and we also hosted three slams during the 3 lunch periods with the Jazz band).

I am officially cooked. And it's Friday. Guess where I'll be? Yup, grading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment