Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I'm Missing The Greedy Gene. Somehow I Missed Out On the Need For Gluttony and Power. I Guess I Lose.

This is what an official website on Jabba the Hutt states,
Jabba the Hutt was one of the galaxy's most powerful gangsters, with far-reaching influence in both politics and the criminal underworld. There were no second chances with Jabba, something Han Solo would find out - though the slug-like alien would ultimately fall victim to his own hubris and vengeful ways.
This has been my year of stepping my leadership up and working with individuals who have more power than I ever desire to have. In my pro-student, pro-teacher stance, I simply want equity for K-12 public schools and now, in higher education, for faculty who work with college-age students. Educators don't make much, and the mythology that they have 'summer's off' and that they are overpaid, but protected because of unions, are false. I would say 1% of the teaching force live that life - taking full advantage of their occupation. The other 99% have bags under their eyes because they work tirelessly to support their schools, students, colleagues, and profession. They do this despite the fact that OSHA would shut most organizations down if the conditions were like this in other industries. Teachers currently experience PTSD,my he environments have grown that toxic.

And then they meet Jabba the Hutt. I have to revisit the Star Wars films because this is who I  picture lately whenever I think of the greedy, off-kilter, seedy individuals who fund (or defund) the underhandedness destroying education, both K-12 and in higher education.

The corporate model is about greed, is to make profit at all costs, and to swindle the worker to fatten those at the top. I think it is rather evident in the United States, and until the last decade or so, such hogs have left public education alone. Nope. Since 2008 when the housing market crashed, the new movement has been to find profits in public education. Poverty is the new wealthy. Actually, it's in private education, too, as the lines blur. Pay the workers less, pay the employer more, remove any and all bargaining rights, and make those who are doing what is right look like the enemy.

It's yucky out here in Education Land, and most of us who got into this profession thought we'd take less pay so we could live a fulfilling life with Ewoks and Wookies, the softer, fuzzier, more intellectual life. Nope. That's didn't happen because Jabba the Hutts are in control and, with greed, corruption, and ignorance, they undercut so much of what I believe in.

Ah, but the fight will go on. I believe in karma and that hubris takes down any and all who think they do well by the world when in actuality they suck the marrow from it.

I'm not sure if this post makes any sense; I'm just simply clearing my mind before I begin the day. I remember as a kid how my parents would discuss the politics of their employment and how their bosses, often paid more the higher they climbed, lost all sense of sanity when they achieved positions with more power. The same is true today. I remember thinking their adult conversations were so boring and wasteful, but now I see it's par for the course.  Money makes the world go around and I wish I could say it was healthy.  It traps us in a destructive system that exploits the worker and awards the master of ceremonies - they who control the purse strings.

It's just gross. It makes me hate people altogether.

Yup.

And politicians? Don't even get me started....

No comments:

Post a Comment