Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Joy of Home Ownership: An Opportunity To Re-Landscape With Perennials and Hope. House #3

During the Memorial Day Parade in Stratford, I followed the signs to a cul-de-sac that said, "Perennial Sale." I found myself at the home of an eighty-year old woman who has spent a lifetime gardening her lawn and who is 'downsizing' her flowers with inexpensive opportunities for would-be gardeners like me. I left with almost $200 worth of perennials for a mere $25 bucks and am hoping that even despite the Connecticut drought right now, some of the plants decide they are ready to take off.

I think it is telling to look at perennials as a metaphor for what I believe in. My goal is to invest in the beauty of the world - even if it costs me a little here and there - so that long after I'm gone, flowers will bloom and people will take notice of the way a lawn is designed.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm always willing to take the investment made by the Louisville Nature Center to condition me to the naturalist I always intend to be. The first year is seep. The second year is creep. And the the third year is leap.

I am hoping that Mt. Pleasant will leap in a few short years.

No comments:

Post a Comment