Monday, May 4, 2015

She Referred To Me As The $#%#$% From the University. She Harassed Me and Cussed Me Out. And I Loved Her For It

Over the last two years while doing work at Hill Central K-8 in New Haven, Connecticut, I had the opportunity to work with stellar faculty and staff. Every second in the building was family time, as their tight-knit building was focused on achievement. Excellence for their students dripped from every room,  --- including the library where Charisse Townsend worked as an assistant.

The first time I met her shee greeted me with, "Who the #$@% are you and why are you in my library?"

It was an instant bond. Her sarcasm was brilliant.

Over the two years, I sought Charisse out to "make my day" with a snide remark and/or malicious insults. She was distinguished at them, but always followed them with sincere interest in why I was in "her school" and what I was "able to do for her kids." She was  an investigative reporter, wanting to piece together more answers for the universe and we bonded. On days I visited the school, I woke up with a smile knowing it was going to be a Charisse day.

Sadly, earlier this year I learned Charisse was sick and then, last night, news came that she had passed. Hearing this was worse than any slam she ever spat at me. It is a terrible loss.

And this morning I am feeling for the Hill Central family and sending positive energy towards New Haven. I am also imagining the line at the pearly gates right now with everything Charisse is saying to those in line to meet the Great Whatever. "What the @$#$ is with this #@$%@# line? Seriously. Whose this #$@# guy think he is? I wonder if they have chocolate we can eat while we're waiting. They'd better have a $%#@% gift bag."

And I also know there will be thunderstorms this summer and, when they are harsh and refreshing (wonderfully refreshing), I will instantly think of my friend who has passed. She had an energy about her that will never be replaced. Rest in peace, Charisse. I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment