Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Day of Motherhood, Mimi. Love You to the Moon and Back. Hope Today is Spectacular.

It's Mother's Day!

And I'm thinking of Momma Sue in upstate New York and reflecting on all 43 years she's been the backbone of my life and the foundation for all I've achieved. Yes, I usually joke about growing up in her True-Blue, Wise Potato Chips, Days of Our Lives lifestyle, but she was a woman who kept my sisters and I fed, made sure we had clothes (even Huskies pants from Sears), attended all our school events, made sure we had cakes and cherry cupcakes for birthdays, allowed us to make fun of her toes (Aqua-man is a classic), tried to harmonize with us on the piano, offered patience while teaching us to drive, placed oranges in the toes of our Christmas stockings, allowed us to take dollar bills from her purse for school lunches, and kept us entertained as she walked into walls (thud), spilled food on her shirts, and sipped White Russians at the Clam Bar.

Next month, my mom will be joining me as we go to see Nikki and the Brigadiers perform in Brooklyn with David Byrnes and company. Behind us will be her temper tantrums of slamming cupboards and cussing out Butch, the disaster of my 9th grade snowbank incident, and all her patience and frustration that arrived from raising her only son.

Today is a shout-out, too, to my sister, Cynderballz, who raised both Nikki and Dylan, and to my sister, K. Dot. C. Dot, who is raising Sean Spencer and Jacob Charles. 

Mom's really do rock. They are strength. They are dedication. They are focus. They are emotional support. They are a shoulder to lean on. They are a bowl of ice-cream with chocolate syrup. And they are the epitome of unconditional love. 

I am so thankful for all that my mommy has done for me and I wouldn't be the man I am today without her.

I love you Sudy Rip. I'm sending you wishes of Bridge Mix, an episode of Scandal, a summer of So You Think You Can Dance, and memories of Eugene and Calliope. Here's to you and all that you've done for everyone in our immediate family. You are appreciated.

PS: Henry, the Hernia, is a direct result of our umbilical connection. Having you in CT to help out in my recovery, albeit briefly, was truly appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment