Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Upon My Return to Louisville, A Few Stops on the Bourbon, Whiskey, Brandy Tour, including @CopperAndKings

Louisville, today, is not what Louisville was in 2007 when I left to earn my doctorate. Yes, it was a lively and happening location (one I enjoyed for over a decade), but now it seems to be a thriving oasis of newness. I keep saying, "Man, this place is  alive."

Yesterday, after walking across the Ohio River and visiting the Brown School, we stopped at Copper & Kings in Butchertown, a Brandy and Alembic distillery with an environmental consciousness. Our tour guide was fantastic...one of the best I've ever had on such tours...and the facility was wonderfully designed. I was thinking graduation parties, weddings, social events, poetry slams, and even proms (although Sue said, um....brandy...prom. Not a good idea). I love the black and orange monarch theme, butterfly gardens, and upstairs patio with a view of downtown Louisville. More importantly, I enjoyed the taste test. I will be returning to Connecticut with a few spirits to share with friends. I was sold. I wish my suitcase could hold more.

I've been a wine drinker for a while, but haven't jumped into the Brandy world at all...burnt wine with more concentrated alcohol (SOLD). Kentucky has restored a curiosity for me...I'm suddenly interested in the Bourbon trail, the resurrection of main street, and the night life of Louisville. What's going on here? What do you mean young people are no longer fleeing the city and staying? And people are flocking this way!

Sports. Horses. Restaurants. Booze. Art. Culture. Louisville is one of America's greatest secrets and after touring Copper & Kings yesterday, I wanted to horde a posse of my northeast friends with me to return. The city is wide awake (full of spirits) and booming with innovation and excitement...such creativity needs to be shared with the rest of the world. There are secrets on every corner waiting to be revealed and shared. It's a very exciting time for the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment