Monday, September 14, 2015

I Would Read Them In A Box. I Would Read Them With a Fox. Back At The Brown School. It's Monday!

I forgot how awesome it is to get up at 5:30 a.m. and to be at work early in the morning. That's where I am today, however, working with Alice - my best friend and teacher of the universe - on this Monday morning. After a night of a three-legged cat, Bob, and the chasing of a couple of mice we landed ourselves back to the way it always was...it feels like nothing has changed.

I got to see Kathy Kathy, Shelli and Doug. The kids who were in kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade are now in the high school. And, of course, nothing sits still.

I'm in a bit of a tizzy to know, though, that the state of writing in Kentucky is a memory and not the norm it once was. It's not depressing as much as it is wrong. It is fueling me to work harder! WTH, Kentucky? WTH?

When I walked in to Alice's room, I found the ol' poster that used to hang above room 301 (which was usurped by an elementary school coup). Ah, literacy. Ah, the passion, joy, hard work, dedication, drive, laughter, commitment, and quirkiness from 1995 to 2007. In some ways nothing has changed at the Brown School. In other ways, everything has changed.

So, I'll sit today and soak it all in. Absorb the love. Look for the mission. Dance with the values. And listen to the ghosts of yesteryear as they meet the spirit of tomorrow.

Looking at the books in the poster above I can conclude that I've always loved comedy. I've always loved tragedy. And it's the journey that matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment