Monday, June 1, 2015

I Actually Wore Long Sleeves on LSU's Campus. I Believe, Post Storm, There Was a Chill In The Air #LSUYAL2015

Happy Birthday, Jacob Charles! Wish I could be in Syracuse for your 6th!

I'm going to start out this morning's post shouting out to my God Son and nephew, Jacob Charles. Today he is 6 year's old and he's getting ready to end his first year of kindergarten to enter the first grade. I can't wait to see him sometime this summer and hear his latest jokes. Rather than in CNY, I'm in the south where football stadiums are the size some towns in the northeast.

During the first evening at LSU finding somewhere to eat is always the nicest evening. It's an opportunity to meet new people, to reunite with other people, and to catch up on what everyone else is doing. When the teachers and students arrive to the LSU Young Adult Literature Conference (about 60 minutes from now), they will jump into the sessions and workshops, so presenters will unlikely have much time to talk.

The dorm rooms are still at 40 degrees and I was smart about bringing a pillow this year. Ah, but that is part of the ambiance of doing such work on a college campus. It feels good to nerd out in a dormitory again.

I did get a five miler in this morning, but was screwed up by time. It actually was much earlier than I thought it was. Also have days one and two almost set in stone, and simply need a few more copies to feel confident about the rolling out of conversations.

Of course, day one you always think, "Shoot, what if no one chooses to show to my session?" Ah, but if it's only a few it will be great because everyone who attends this conference is great.

The hospitality is genuine and the sincere interest of all is inspirational.

And the heat is coming back mid-week. I need it to because I've talked up the pea soup metaphor to everyone I know. That, and they better serve Bread Pudding in The Five again this year. I will take advantage of that for sure.

Happy Birthday Again, Jacob Charles! We're Doing the Work Here to Assure That Your Generation Has Quality YA Novels (and Support) When You Are a Teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment