Monday, June 22, 2015

Day Five Of Modified Ramadan: Bonding With The Twins To Better Understand Fasting

I've told them for years that I wanted to fast with them during Ramadan so I could better understand what it is like going entire days without food. I figured this year was the best year to try because they are with me in Stratford during the holiday and I know I can attempt the tradition until the summer literacy labs and institute kick off. Last night, we stopped to stock up on more rice because it's the major filler they use when they wake up at 4 a.m. to eat for the day.

I, as I already noted, do not get up with them. That part of the tradition they can keep for themselves. I need my Raisin Bran and coffee when I wake up at 7 a.m. and I grant myself this wish. This means, though, that I have three hours on them in terms of food in my stomach.

They told me that by day three it gets easier. This is the fifth day and, well, it doesn't get easier on the hunger, just on the mental capacity to understand that there will not be food until the evening. I've worked it out so I run right before we cook, too, which means I can then have water somewhat near the time when I need it most.

Here's one absolute truth: Watermelon is a fantastic food to eat at 8:47 p.m., especially after going without fluids since having coffee in the morning. My mind works for the majority of the day, but by 5 p.m. it begins wandering into dizzy land. When we finish eating at 9:30 p.m. I feel great, but soon after I am ready for bed. It is an exhaustion I've never known before.

The twins say that the purpose of Ramadan is not to be as active as we are the rest of the year. They say my problem is that I don't sit still or slow down. Well, I don't think any holiday can change that about me.

Next week, the teacher institute begins and I will need nourishment to make it through. Still, I hope to keep my 30 days as close to their schedule as I can, especially since I know we will eat together so late in the evening.

Last night at Big Y, they kept finding ingredients offered to their families when in refugee camps of Ghana. They found it funny that such items are bagged in aisle 11 of a grocery store and typically not anyone's choice for food in the United States. Such observations about American life is humbling, as we take our eating customs for granted.

The breaking of the fast each day truly is a wonderful ritual, because everything tastes that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment