Monday, April 13, 2015

When Families Unite In Brockport, This CNY Transplant Instantly Smiles @LBility @AbuBility @NikkiIsgar

Nikki Isgar and Lossine Bility
The sun was shining. Outside my window I watched cyclists, walkers, and runners enjoying the spring weather. I looked at them with longing, knowing I was stuck indoors with limited movement and doctor's orders to "sit still, already."

But then Lossine texted me to say, "Yo, that Colorguard stuff is going on in our gym." It wasn't until then that I made the connection that that Colorguard stuff involved my niece who was performing for the Northeast Colorguard circuit with the CNY Brigadiers - one week before they head off to national championships in Dayton, Ohio.

I texted back, "Nikki's there. Go find her."

Unfortunately, Abu and Lossine were both stationed in the gym with their duties and weren't able to make it into the performance. But then Nikki texted to note, "I think I see one of the twins pushing a broom."

Yup. Lossine had clean-up duty and sported an incredible looking pair of Barney-purple gloves. It then took a series of texts that said, "Run. Hurry Up. I want a picture of you guys together," which eventually arrived.

The twins became part of the Crandall, Isgar, and Barnwell crew in 2008, ever since they convinced me that they needed to see a SU lacrosse game and Mike insisted he wanted to resurrect his love of the sport and bought himself a mid-life stick. The rest, of course, is history. We went to the game together and that was the beginning of lifelong academic and personal friendship and family.

I wish I could of been at SUNY Brockport to cheer on Nikki and to see Abu and Lossine's world but medical and professional obligations kept me from making the trip (seriously, it wan't even on m radar). But the photo above made my Sunday and will remain fodder for beginning this work week with a smile. I only wish that Abu was able to get into the photograph, too. Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment