Thursday, April 9, 2015

Sitting My World While I #WalkMyWorld, But Now With My Blanket To Keep Me Warm Again. Ah, Shucks. Family

I was sitting with a refrigerator on my lap when I heard a voice on my front porch. It was the UPS man talking on his cellphone and I knew what he was dropping off - the medical supplies stored in my mom's RAV4 (whoops! Never used them) and the blanket that was accidentally packed up with CNY belongings when they left Connecticut.

I moseyed out to the porch, nabbed the package (under 5 pounds, I'm good) and quickly opened it up. I thought the refrigerator would be nicer if warmed up with the blanket I've missed for the last couple of days.

Today marks 1 week since the procedure and tomorrow I go for post-surgery check-up, hopefully to find out that seepage is normal and everything is healing as it should. They say to "stay ahead of the pain," but that is hard for someone like me who doesn't like to take the medication. But I've learned, it's best to "stay ahead of the pain."

I did drive yesterday, giving Chitunga a sabbatical from his daily duties of being my walking cane, taxi-cab driver, crane, fridge-man, and forklift. Driving wasn't bad, and I was thankful to office staff who came to get my bag, "But, Bryan. They told you NOT to lift anything."

Which gives me an idea. When I was a kid, I ordered a book called The Sick of Being Sick Book and it listed all these ideas to overcome the boredom that arrives from sitting still. I don't remember a single detail from that book, but that it was in existence. I am now thinking that I might want to create such a book - a go-to advice text of looney things to occupy the brain when forced to having to sit still (including, "close your eyes. Imagine putting on a pair of sneakers. Tie them. Stretch. Step outside and breathe the fresh air. Then leap. Head to the pavement for a six mile run. Enjoy your lungs and muscles and the freedom that comes open skies, trails, and your thoughts").

Such a reality is what I'm missing most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment