Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sesame Street for Adults, Avenue Q: A Theatrical Performance at the U

After a Saturday in the office preparing for the summer and interviewing teachers for the July institute, I met up with friends to see Fairfield University's student production of Avenue Q. For many years, I've heard of the musical and I jumped at the chance to see it live.

The singing and harmonizing was great. The story line was corny, as I expected, and my only critiques were I was exhausted, and sadly the production was indicative of the campus. It lacked in diversity and, as a result, the racial overtones were a bit awkward....odd seeing a tall white male playing Gary Coleman (I couldn't help thinking that this is one of the campus's major faux pas). The musical was great and I enjoyed the talents off all the students, but I couldn't help but think it would have been better if the cast represented the pastiche it was intended to be.

Still, I got many laugh from the show and it was nice to unwind to a well-done rendition of the play. The kids did a great job and I was impressed by the talent. I just can't help wearing my critical lens hat, especially knowing that diversity abounds in southern Connecticut - just not as much with the undergraduate population. There's definitely more cultural sensitivity needed and even if "everyone's a racist," as one song presented, the humor was lost (and somewhat offensive) given the fact that the audience and  performers all looked exactly like me. But, as Brian in the production sang, "It sucks to be me."


No comments:

Post a Comment