Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Reflecting on Hurdles and Bureaucracies...End of the Year Angst. Wait! Are We At The DMV? #WalkMyWorld

Blue pens.

They were instructed, "Bring blue pens."

Last night, 45+ student teachers worked with a certification officer in the state of Connecticut to fill out forms (forms with names like 104.B and 104.BC). But they needed to have blue pens.

"Put your name in the line here."
"You will need an official transcript sent here."
"Oh, that will need a signature of this or that person here."
"Yes, you will need to pay $120 or so to be initially certified. Yes, you will need to have Praxis scores."

Joy. It all comes at the end of the semester, after 12 weeks of getting their heads around the impossibility (and joy) of working in America's elementary, middle and high schools, and it is at the exact time when assessing student work assignments are due and the time has come to create their professional portfolios.

Gasp. Panic. Paranoia. Meltdowns.

It's that time of year.

I remember all the fret and fury of where they are when I went through the process in 1996. A student teacher pays to work 80 hours a week and to get credit for their teaching. They are in debt to their programs, working on resumes and cover letters, hoping to get a job, when WHAM! the blue pens come at them.

"No, I cannot accept your application because you used a black pen. The directions say, USE A BLUE PEN. You can only use a Blue pen."

The only way I can assist the understanding they have of the process is to think about the licensing as a visit to the DMV. When it comes to state agencies and formalities, there's no easy way to get through. Patience is helpful, but even then the process is overwhelming and stressful. It is what every individual in the United States must go through to move through the steps.

I am thinking Ministry of Magic here. This is Umbridge's world and without a sense of humor - think George and Fred Weasley - it is not a fun experience.

New for me, however, is being at the other end of helping newbies navigate the strenuous process of doing the work to move forward at a time when they are simply fried and exhausted. My response was, "I'm not sure if there's any way to do this better. It is what it always is."

I shared the story of how my seniors often went into a tizzy after February when they had the eyes on the graduation prize, but they still had to submit state writing portfolios and finish their senior research and projects. They wanted to lead a coup against me, but I would say that the work was required for them to graduate. They hated "the man" and I allowed one day a year to make giant spit wads to throw at a stick figure man on a blackboard in my room. Of course, in Kentucky, those who held high positions monitoring the expectations were all women, but we still chucked frustration at the man.

My students last night laughed at the gimmick and I think they understood that it is what it is because this is the way that is always is. My doctoral advisor, too, once talked me off the ledge with a similar pep and prep rally. "What did you tell your students in Kentucky when they resisted the expectations?" I shared my story and she said, "Well, this is the same for you. You will get through it and so will they.

They've come way too far not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment