Friday, April 24, 2015

What Did I Want To Be When I Grew Up? Duh! Oprah Winfrey, No Brainer. #WalkMyWorld

Yesterday, I was invited to be a Keynote speaker at the Central High School career day in Bridgeport, Connecticut. I opened the panel of professionals: Senator Ed Gomes, CT Attorney General - George Jespen, and other prestigious leaders throughout the state.

I thought to myself, "Really. You want me to open this panel with the journey of Bryan Ripley Crandall and the work I do now as the Director of the Connecticut Writing Project at Fairfield?"

They did. And I told them my first job was making hotdogs. My second job was selling toys. My third job was working commission off of women's shoes, and eventually I learned I wasn't going to become Oprah Winfrey. She was the goal. I wanted my own talk show.

But, through my conversation about my jobs (how many of you had to make liquid lasagna by running food and water through a food processor so old people without teeth could slurp it up with a straw?), I also discussed my education and my real passion - empowering urban youth and their teachers by providing more authentic opportunities for them in schools.

Really, I got to channel my inner-Oprah and actually became the icon I wanted to be when I grew up. Corny. Yes. Crandall. Totally. Want to know what the top ten terrible jobs really are?

  • Guard at Buckingham Palace 
  • Portable toile cleaner
  • Road Kill Remover
  • Flatus Odor Judge
  • Brazil Mosquito Researcher
  • Manure Inspector
  • Cat Food Quality Taster
  • Crime Scene Cleaner
  • Taxi Driver
  • Sewer Cleaner

I'm sure there are even worse...and as for my advice to the 100+ kids in attendance? That was easy, although not terribly profound: (1) Whistle while you work, but work! School is your job right now, (2) If you can't find a job, volunteer, (3) Find what you love, and love doing it, (4) Believe in UBUNTU, (4) Find mentors, (5) Be involved, be present, and just do YOU - be careful of who you laugh at on the way up; they will laugh at you on the way down, (6) Read, and (7) Empty the ocean with a  ford (It's all you'll ever have and you need to find a sense of humor with it). I'm sure this would change if I was to recreate another list.  Crazy to know anyone would want to hear my advice on having a career. With that noted, I did love a quote I saw on the walls: The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do. And with that, it's Friday.                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment