Monday, April 27, 2015

The Struggle of End-of-the-Semester Realities and the Desire to Celebrate The Kentucky Derby

It's Monday morning and the semester is off! Actually, it began four months ago with a few snow storms, cancelled classes, and a lot of catching up. Now, the final lap of the semester, everything is very hectic, spastic, frightening, and overwhelming.

(this, too, shall pass, he tells himself)

And I am thinking about life in Kentucky and the fact that everything slows down for the Derby celebration, including Friday off for the Oaks and all-day parties on Saturday. That's what I want for myself in the new Stratford home. Yet, I have multiple assignments coming in this week that need a quick turn-around with feedback and numerous school engagements during the day. This is, of course, to all the meetings scheduled to finalize university work for the semester. Oh, and I'll be without the car (getting the ice-dent fixed from the winter from hell).

But I am thinking about Derby. And I will keep my eye on the weather. If it looks to be nice, I can't imagine not opening my home for a barbecue and two-minute race. I like to bet.  I like to watch. I like mint-juleps, and I want an opportunity to be silly.

Yet, I hate being stressed and know a post-Henry the Hernia housewarming Derby party might put me over the edge.

That is why I'm simply saying, "Gosh, darn it. We will see." The next six days will be what they are and perhaps I will have it in me to host a Cran-stable gala.

(insert trumpets here)

and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment