Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Loving My New Look: This is Sabbatical Bryan, Captain of the Professional Development World for Kids and Teachers

I am thankful to the young man at Side by Side Charter who allowed me to try on his knitted cap and take a selfie on the spot. This is the first time I've seen such a beautiful cap knitted for the winter months. It isn't airbrushed. It isn't photo-shopped. Nope, it is all knit-wear (hint hint - I need to have several of these my xmas-purchasing friends and family).

I love that the kids said, "Mr., you can wear his cap if we can photo-bomb your selfie."

Um, duh. Get behind me. No brainer.

I completed a short stint doing enrichment work after school with the young people at Side by Side so I can keep my toes wet in the waters of K-12 instruction. I know all fingers are pointing tentacles at me, scolding, "Crandall, you're on a break. You need to take advantage of yourself and protect your writing space. You need to chill out."

Truth be told, I never stop writing, and I get my greatest inspiration when working with K-12 teachers and the beautiful people in their schools. I am a passionate believer in America's diversity and don't think there's any job more democratic than the ones of those working in urban schools.  Locations like Side by Side mix up the zip codes of our state and are made magical because of it. I am inspired by ways of knowing that come from mixing up communities. I love hearing stories of unique individuals. I thrive in unpredictable locations that are less righteous and more explorative than locations that scream, "I am the omnipotent sage of the universe. Let me poor my thinking into your head." I like those that ask more questions of students than provide absolute answers.

And suddenly I want to audition for a part in Fiddler on The Roof. It's the beard, man. The beard.  La de la de la de da de da da da da da.

No comments:

Post a Comment