Wednesday, October 28, 2015

A Temporary Break To Cross An Item of the Bucket List: Carving a Pumpkin With Chitunga - His First

I bought two pumpkins for the holiday season and mine deflated like a sad balloon two days after I bought it. It had some sort of disease and ate itself from the inside, sinking into its misery like a popped bicycle tire.

Ah, but one remained and last night I said, "It's now or never, kid. You up for it?"

He was. And after perusing Google possibilities for a pumpkin, he opted for a traditional scary one which he carved with finesse, craft, and pride. The highlight came, of course, when we put a candle inside and let the light do its magic.
We officially have a Halloween decoration for Saturday night (in which I imagine we'll be inundated with Tricksters and Treaters, as the new home is in the mecca of child/teen activity).

And I need to remark on cleaning out the inside of a pumpkin. I think gutting a fish is less messy and sticky then de-seeding and pulling pumpkin guts out of an orange gourd.

Of course, I purchased a few of them, too, to sit beside the pumpkin face on Saturday night. I've got the candy and the spirit, so I'm ready to go.

Now, if only I mastered chicken noodle soup in the crockpot in the same way Tunga excelled with the pumpkin, I could rack this Autumn week as a success. The soup is good, but not exactly the flavor-fest I wanted (even with soup starter). I'm guessing it is because I boycotted celery. I hate it. Maybe that is what gives the extra flavor to a good chicken noodle soup. I did a much better job with creamy gorgonzola and spinach.

Happy Hump Day, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment