Friday, January 9, 2015

The funny part is how logical it was to be a priority. What's right is right. And I am thankful for any support.

Yesterday, I received six bags full of clothes suitable for athletic teenagers: sweatshirts, jeans, t-shirts, running pants, shorts, bathing suits, dress shirts, etc. I was told, "Bryan, we were cleaning out our son's closets at home and we realized how much they have and how some of it has never been worn. Would you like to look through them to see if any of the clothes would be suitable for the young people you work with?"

And that's what I did. Six bags didn't seem like a lot until I sorted it out and turned my bed into a garage sale. I sorted by size and make, so that it would be easier to distribute the goods in Bridgeport and New Haven. She was correct. Most of the clothing was brand new and had never been worn. I am thinking that another rendition of Christmas will be coming to several later this month.

I know, too, that I have a closet full of clothing. I also have a cabinet of running shoes and it's hard for me to get rid of any of them. I always think of them as a style I liked at a certain time in my life. But when I think about global realities, I'm uncomfortable with all I have. Shoot. I probably have a tie for every day of the year, too. It's American, I know.

The work I do in schools, however, helps me to see that my excess is not the cultural norm and that many kids - more specifically, relocated and immigrant kids - would totally appreciate donated clothes, especially that is new. This, I am glad to say, I can do. I can do it with pride, as well.

Yes, I was focused last night as I sorted and categorized, but I also had to laugh a little at how I quickly stop everything on my agenda to do such a task. I'm unsure where such work comes from, other than the lives of several refugee youth changed my worldview forever.

So, today - it's Ubuntu. Ubuntu at the same time I'm cracking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment