Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sometimes It's a Simple Dinner That Makes Me Crack-Up. Well, Check My Cultural Tendencies a Bit, and....

For several years now I've looked up to my cousin, Mark, as an inspirational role model who navigates the globe to make a tremendous difference. Since we were longer-haired hippies in our more youthful days, he's impressed me with his work ethic, drive, networking skills, and vision to provide youth programming in southern Africa, Zimbabwe, and Canada. I've often wondered how he does it all and, to be honest, I still haven't a clue.

Even so, I continue to learn from him and value his friendship and mentoring.

Last night, I took him to dinner at a nice Italian eatery in Milford (it's the least I could do given all the hosting kindness he's offered me on visits in Amagansett). We waited for Chitunga to get back from work and then we ventured out for some grub. The meal was delicious and definitely worth the event of the evening, uniting conversations about growing up, Africa, what it means to be an American, and the work still needing to be done.

Interestingly, as I paid for the meal (an act to celebrate Crandall-hood into the 21st century) I couldn't help but thinking about such ritual in relation to the economics of the line of work each of us do. In one swipe of a credit card (wh'tsh) a meal was consumed - delicious, expensive, and digested. Yet, when thinking about global poverty, the advocacy we do, and the reality of trying to make it as a new American, the cost of such a meal put me in a bit of a tizzy. Three men eating fancy foods = $$$. I laughed when, later on, Chitunga confessed to me, "The food was good, but it seemed like it was only an appetizer. Where was the rest?"

Yes, proportions at restaurants that are more expensive tend not to be as generous (he writes, watching a portion of his paycheck disappear in the name of family, love, appreciation, and brotherhood).

In the end, it's all good. All good. The fact that the three of us could bond over grub and conversation was worth the investment of the meal. As I noted to both, "these are the events that matter the most in the vast universe. It's a tribute to staying focused on what we're all here to do."

And my pan-seared Mahi Mahi was outstanding. I admit that I refused to look at the price - I just pulled out my credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment