Friday, July 17, 2015

And It's Day 30, @AbuBility @LBility, and Participating in a Fast withthe Twins Can Be Scratched Off my Bucket List

In 2009, through graduate work at Syracuse University, Abu and Lossine were introduced to my world. With them came Abdi, Werdi, Muya, Akech, Bior, AJ, Ibrahim, Poli, Mustapha, and a whole other crew too large to name in this post. Shortly after meeting them, I also learned that a majority fasted for Ramada, and this was extremely brutal during the soccer season.

Still, they persevered. It impressed me. I didn't quite get it, but my research was to better know their worlds and they were gracious to share them with me.

I promised that one day I would attempt to do the 30-day fast with them through Ramadan. I achieved this (for the most part - moderations explained below) over the last month while Abu and Lossine worked with me for the Young Adult Literacy Labs and Ubuntu Academy in Connecticut. Last night, 8:47, I am finally scratching this off the list of things I've wanted to try.

And thank The Great Whatever that it is over. Thank you, Great Whatever! Thank You. Thank You!

My modifications? I allowed myself a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal at 6 a.m. when I got up. But then I went all day with no food, no water, NOTHING, until 8:47 p.m. I left the fast three times, however, when family was here and when I took my administrative assistant out for a good-bye party. So, in honesty, I did 27 of the 30, but I'm good with this. I feel accomplished and like I have a better understanding for the tradition.

The bonding that comes with fasting is real. I was already a tremendous fan of the twins, but now I love them even more. I did this for them. Fortunately, they are able to nap and regroup in the afternoon, so the long hours fly by while they sleep through them. My ADHD, though, won't allow this. I tried. Rather, I continued my routine of running, yard work, writing, reading, etc., but 99.9% of the time my brain was completely dead. The first days were especially brutal, but they were right...I grew into it. Then, each night when I began cooking, the brotherhood grew more obvious. I'm really glad I did it...not only for them, but for me. They'd join me in the kitchen helping me cook dinner, and as soon as the clock turned...

we FEASTED.

It always began with watermelon and watermelon has never tasted better. But now it is over and

I am Rama-DONE!

It was an experience and I feel like I'm a stronger man because of it (and because of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment